Updated: May 17, 2019
This week we are going to be discussing writing the meet the student teacher letter. It is so important to make a connection with students and their families, even if you are the student teacher. Reaching out and informing parents and caregivers is critical.
As a student teacher, you play an important role in a child's education even if it is only for seven weeks.
Friends, this is going to be a workshop type session today, so if you are listening to this episode while you are on the go don’t worry I have a free PDF that you can download to help get you thinking about what you will write in your letter. You can find it at http://bit.ly/sfecich1 .
A disclaimer though, there are so many ways to write and create this letter there is no one right way. I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite elements. If you are listening to this and thinking, "Sam you forgot an important element." please comment or tag me on social media @SFeicich and I will be happy to add it. As you know, we are better together.
So here we go without further ado, in no particular order the elements of a fabulous and informative meet the student teacher letter.
· Teacher-friendly photo: What I mean this is a fun yet a professional photo of you, and just you! This is not a glamour shot or a pic of you with a group of friends. Just a photo of you doing what you do – teach, learn, grow.
· Teaching story: Share the reason why you teach. Why do you want to impact children? Why do you want to be an educator of excellence? Who inspired you to be a teacher?
· Background: Think of this section as information about you such as family, where you are from, what you are studying, what you plan to do after graduation, do you have a specialization area or minor?
· Fun facts or favorites: food, movie, restaurant, ice cream flavor, game, sport, etc. You get the idea, fun facts about you or hidden talents. If you play the uekele you may want to put it here.
· Contact information: You may want to put a link to your digital portfolio. You may also want to put something like, "To contact me please contact (insert name of mentor teacher here)".
· Sign it: End it with a signature and how you want to be addressed. Example. Miss Beesley or Mr. Shrute.
Now that we have the content down and what to include in our letter, how are we going to create it? There are so many technology tools out there to help you craft this letter, so it has your own personal flair and style to it. Never fear friends I got you covered with two great tech tools.I recommend canva or adobe spark. Both are free and very user-friendly – all you must do is input your content. It couldn’t be easier!
Friends, get out there and create your own "Meet the teacher" letter for your student teaching placement. Remember I created a FREE PDF to get you thinking about what to put in your own "Meet the teacher letter". Just go to http://bit.ly/sfecich1 to download it today and get started on your amazing Meet the teacher letter.
Don't forget to share it out on social media with #EduMagic. I want to see what you create and how you make it your own.
You have the EduMagic in YOU!